Thursday, June 5, 2008

Blessed

I notice that my writing has become more infrequent and for that I apologize. With regard to the Xenophobia outbreaks, all tension seems to have subsided. In Kayamandi, we only saw action and movement that one Friday evening and for that we are grateful. The effect of such violent action is long lasting, and it has provided an interesting topic of discussion for the documentary component of the film project.

I am really enjoying my students - the more I get to know them the more difficult I know it will be to part. When I hear their stories I want so badly to be able to fix each situation. Provide parents when they are absent. Instill love where there is none. Open my door for a meal when children feel scared to eat at home.

Each situation is unique and there are no easy solutions - often it feels that a band aid is being applied to a very large wound. But I do what I can, giving lots of hugs, saying lots of "I love you's" and praying constantly.

The other weekend I had all of the girls in the film program over to spent the night. We laughed a lot, some tears were shed and I felt such joy that I didn't want it to end. Each student is blessing me in a unique way - and I continue to receive daily love from the Kuyasa Kids as well.

I love being here, but I also miss home. I wonder how my sister is doing on nights when her husband is on call. I think often of my nephew Roahn, imagining how big he is becoming and if he will remember me in 3 short months. I showed my students a picture of my niece Raime, it was a picture that was taken at her 2nd birthday party. She is lounging on the grass and scrunching up her nose. The comment from my students was "this baby likes chocolate!" It's true, I don't know what it is about us that makes our loves so evident to others. :)

No comments: