Thursday, March 1, 2012

Love


There’s this thing that happens when someone says, “I love you”. 

I know because I was blessed to hear this phrase spoken over me countless times throughout my life.

I heard the words from my dad, everyday without fail.  He even apologized once for maybe saying, “I love you” too frequently.

When I work with my students here in Kayamandi, this has become the one thing that I want them to remember above all other things, unconditional love exits. 

So I strive each day to make love the defining characteristic of my life, because I know that so many of my students have never heard the words of love from their own parents.

And then the transition comes – when students move into “manhood” – a culturally significant time where the men leave the childish things behind and step into a role of provider.

It’s a tricky time for me, continuing to show how much I love them, but also stepping back so that I respect their cultural tradition.

But I have to admit how much I love it when people (all people) put aside their culture and act in love. 

Isn’t that what Jesus did when he spoke with the woman at the well? 

His culture dictated that he not even speak with her, and here he is offering her living water.  

Don’t you just love that?!

Today when I was messaging online with a student, a recent addition to the man club, he beat me to the punch.

“I love you sisKatie”.

Appreciation and respect entangled in this phrase that so often I’m the first to utter.

What a counter cultural gift, wrapped in an instant message package!

Thanks for your continued support of Film School Africa – I sure do love you,

Katie Taylor

To see a short video about our newest group of Level One students click here.  And to financially support Film School Africa click here or go to threadsafrica.org.

No comments: