Thursday, July 2, 2009

back in africa

I’m safe and sound – and while I know that several of you have been waiting for days to hear that I’ve arrived – in true Africa fashion our internet has been down for the last few days. So I thought I’d catch you up on a few stories that have started this blessed four-week journey.

I arrived Saturday evening and was greeted at the airport by the two smiling faces of Cindy and Neal. When I’m not with the team I’ll be staying at their place – and I’m grateful to report that their place is bigger and nicer than the flat that Cindy, Nana, Lusanda and I once shared. ☺

I did get some rest on the plane, but it was really nice to be able to get a full nights rest lying down on a bed upon my arrival. I believe that first nights rest helped me to quickly get over that jet-lagged feeling and I was ready for church the next morning.

It was great to be back at church and I was excited to see my dear friend Heather again. As a double blessing she brought one of my students, Luvuyo, with her. This was a wonderful treat, because Luvuyo is one of the two students whom are currently taking part in the Media Village YWAM program, and I really didn’t expect to see him at all. That afternoon he would be leaving to rejoin the YWAM group, and would the next day be catching a flight to Brazil! It’s an amazing opportunity for him to minister to others, but it will no doubt prove to be a very challenging 2 months there. A moment that touched me deeply was when we stood there singing a stanza in a praise song that read, “I see a generation…rising up to take their place”. My heart was overflowing with the reality that this young man was growing so much and that he was being stretched and challenged into taking his place as a wonderful young Christian man – and that it all started with the film project.

The great day continued with a Sunday afternoon braai (BBQ) at the home of some friends of Cindy and Neal. The stark contrast between the “haves and the have not” is always an odd feeling to me at first, but it was still a wonderful afternoon of playing catch phrase and enjoying a big lunch.

Monday was my first day in Kayamandi – a day to which I was very much looking forward. When I stepped out of Cindy’s car I was practically pounced on by my dear Odwa. It was so wonderful to see him, and so much has happened for him since we were last together, but it felt like nothing had changed. I could hardly take a step without giving him another hug and then another hug – it was great to see him again.

Later in the day I was greeted with a phone call – Heather brought me the phone and handed it to me before telling me who was on the other end. I said hello and the person on the other end of the phone call burst into tears. It was then that I knew it was sweet Ncumisa, my other student doing the Media Village YWAM program. She is currently up north doing her mission work time and will shortly be going up to Mozambique for a few months. It has been a very challenging time for her, but she is a very bright and strong young woman. It was great to be able to encourage her a bit, tell her how proud I am of her and how much I miss her. I know that she is sad to be missing this time while I’m here – but like many others she has been using the momentum of the film project to move herself forward and experience a life outside the confines of the township.

That afternoon I was able to go over to see Zintle and her 3 month old baby girl Lisakhanya. I had a massive bag of clothes to deliver with 5 or more outfits in each size ranging from newborn to 3T! It was complete with blankets, socks and shoes - and it was a huge hit. She was very grateful for all the clothes and I was able to hold little Lisa while we visited. Zintle seems to be doing well and little Lisa has her mother's deep beautiful eyes and two of the biggest cheeks I've ever seen on a baby. :)

It's been a great first few days and with team members trickling in over the next few days it promises to get busier every day. I really miss having Nana and Lusanda here. It feels so quiet to not have Nana sleeping in the living room watching Generations, but I'm so grateful for the time I was able to spend with them in Ohio before I left the states.

My love to all - I hope to be able to provide more updates soon.

1 comment:

Marta said...

We are are currently in pre-production on a small budgeted bio pic
for a non-profit organization which we need to shoot in Uganda
(or somewhere safe that can match Uganda.) I wondered if you
had shot there or had a contact we might consult with?