Thursday, April 24, 2008

Beauty in the unexpected

the last few days have been really great. yesterday was the start of my interviews for the film project and i was really impressed with what i have seen thus far. i have another 8 students to interview this afternoon and they all have a qualifying assignment that is due next week.

each student took the interview so seriously, it was really great - and in a way i felt like i was casting again. casting this group of young people that will need to work closely these next few months, and casting different types and personalities for the documentary aspect. several were incredibly vulnerable and honest before me and the camera and helped to make my decision very clear and easy. i'm still wrestling with a few of the others - and while i thought that a group of 20 would be good - my instincts are starting to lean toward a smaller group of 15 or 16.

yesterday afternoon, i sat in front of my computer with no internet connectivity, and was a little frustrated. my young friend Gugu, one of the Kuyasa Kids, came and sat down next to me. he and i talked for thirty minutes, talked about our time in america, about the importance of school, and what it meant to be a leader. here he is, a 15-year-old guy, that desires to just sit and chat about life. there was something so profound and beautiful about our time together, and it's not something i'll soon forget.

this morning when i walked out of my room, bleary eyed with my towel in hand, Mama Shumi was doing some ironing. i gave her a side hug and said good morning, and she replied with "i love you".

i was standing on the front porch this morning, waiting for my ride. the sun was shining and the air was so clear. i turned to my left and took in the reality of this place that is now home. our neighbor has a shack that slants down hill - but beyond that is a beautiful mountain. it still strikes me that there can be such poverty with such a beautiful backdrop.

1 comment:

jtaylor said...

Another wonderfully descriptive window into your world, Katie. Thank you for keeping us current with your joy of serving in South Africa.